Which People Who Worked in Japan Need to File Tax Returns?

【Koshida Accounting Firm Column Date:

The hardest thing in the world to understand is income taxes – Albert Einstein

tax returns

Hello, my name is Taisei Koshida, and I am a certified public accountant and tax accountant.


I aim to assist non-Japanese business owners who need help with reading or writing in Japanese. If you find the Japanese tax return system challenging, I can help you with your tax filings.


If you are worried about filing tax returns for your past work in Japan, the following blog will be helpful for you.


1. People Who Did Not Conduct Year-End Tax Adjustments

If you conducted a year-end tax adjustment before leaving Japan during the year, you need not file tax returns unless you do not have any income based on Japan except this salary.

2. People Who Have Incomes Based on Japan After Leaving Japan

People with incomes based on Japan, like property incomes, need to file tax returns after leaving Japan.

3. People Who Have a Duty of Estimated Income Tax and left Japan After 1 July

If your payment of income tax on previous income tax returns was over 150,000 yen, you have a duty of estimated income tax in the current year. Then, if you stayed in Japan over 30 June, this duty is confirmed. Therefore, if it applies to you, you need to file tax returns and the obligation of payment for this estimated tax.

4. People Other Than Those

Who is not applied to the above 2 and 3, and whose salary was provided by only one company while they were all withheld, and the amount was less than 20 million yen. This person does not need to file tax returns.


If you are applying for the above, you must file tax returns. Plus, people who are applying for the above 2 need to nominate an agent of tax payment. Besides, in other cases, if you can not file tax returns till you leave Japan, you need to nominate an agent of tax payment, too.



Our accounting and tax office has been actively assisting foreign business owners in Japan with accounting and tax matters. Also, not only in the tax and accounting field, our office can support your business in Japan in the fields of visa, registration, social insurance, and law by networking with specialists. Plus, we have networked with specialists in web marketing, building websites, and business consulting suitable for Japanese customers. All services are provided in English. Please feel free to reach out to us through the inquiry form.