Remittances from Abroad to Japan are Monitored by the Japanese Tax Office

【Koshida Accounting Firm Column Date:

“An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself.” - Albert Camus





Hi, my name is Taisei Koshida, and I am a certified public accountant as well as a tax accountant.


I aim to assist non-Japanese business owners who struggle with reading or writing in Japanese. If you find the Japanese tax return system challenging, I can help you with your tax filings.


If you are unclear about monitoring remittances in Japan, you might find this blog helpful.




Banks are Obligated to Submit Data

When remitting more than one million yen from abroad to Japan, banks are obligated to report the names of those and details of these transactions to the Japanese Tax Office.


Will Taxes be Incurred in Japan?

If the source income of the remittance should be taxable in Japan and you have not declared it, the tax office might demand tax payment from you. Furthermore, if you are a non-permanent resident in Japan, you might be taxable for the remittance amount.


If you want to know the details of taxation in Japan, the following might help you.

Do foreigners doing business in Japan need to pay individual income tax on income earned outside of Japan to the Japanese tax office?



Our accounting firm has been actively assisting foreign business owners in Japan with accounting and tax matters. Please feel free to contact us through the inquiry form.