Can Companies’s Directors Get a Digital Nomad Visa of Japan?

【Koshida Accounting Firm Column Date:

“A great way to learn about your country is to leave it.”― Henry Rollins

a nomad


Hello, my name is Taisei Koshida, and I am a certified public accountant and tax accountant.


I aim to assist non-Japanese business owners who need help with reading or writing in Japanese. If you find the Japanese tax return system challenging, I can help you with your tax filings.


The Japanese government created a digital nomad visa on April 1, 2024, but whether it can be applied to company directors is unclear, even though you confirm the application information.


1. The Reason Why It Is Not Clear

There is criticism in Japan that it should not accept people who will not pay taxes to Japan. Therefore, the Immigration Service Agency decided only to accept digital nomads to whom short-term stay tax exemption can be applied. This exemption has existed in tax treaties before. Then, this treaty is not applied to company directors. ISA seemed to try to avoid the criticism by making the rule obscure.


2. The Speculation from the Required Documents

The documents that applicants of a digital nomad visa will be required do not seem to include proof of company registration. This may mean the possibility of ISA’s approval to company directors.


3. What is the Result?

I am afraid I can not find the result. It will be clear if you permit the paper to get a digital nomad visa. If you’d like to try it, feel free to ask me.

My friend, who is a visa specialist and administrative scriber, questioned ISA in Osaka about this. They answered that this visa applies to directors. However, you must submit your own contract of employment even though you are a director.


Below is the information on a digital nomad visa from ISA.


If you would likt to know about taxes when you get a digital nomad visa, the following blog is helpful.

If Staying in Japan on a Digital Nomad Visa, What Happens to the Taxes to Pay in Japan?


Our accounting and tax office has been actively assisting foreign business owners in Japan with accounting and tax matters. Also, not only in the tax and accounting field, our office can support your business in Japan in the fields of visa, registration, social insurance, and law by networking with specialists. Plus, we have networked with specialists in web marketing, building websites, and business consulting suitable for Japanese customers. All services are provided in English. Please feel free to reach out to us through the inquiry form.